Welcome to the Blog Plantation Y'all

Our family welcomes you and thanks you for stopping by to visit. We are delighted you have taken a few minutes out of your day to spend with us. We are Joe and Jessica. We have two children and one very regal beagle! We post often and it usually includes details of our Christian faith; life here in the South; entertaining our family and friends; tales of our travels; as well as the daily adventures of having two children. Oh, and our passion for Alabama Crimson Tide Football!
Grab a mint julep, relax, and enjoy the site. Don't forget to leave us a message. You can click under any blog entry to do so. We love to hear from our guests.
(Also, please remember that all writings and pictures are the sole property of the blog plantation and it's authors and may not be duplicated, unless otherwise noted. )

Thanks for dropping by Y'all!




Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checking Tool
What time I am afraid I will trust in thee
Psalm 56:3

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2008

My family's piece of today's history



Warner A. Lindsey
BRANCH OF SERVICE U.S. Army
HOMETOWN Mendenhall, MS

ACTIVITY DURING WWII NORMANDY, NORTHERN FRANCE, RHINELAND WD 33 GO 45.






Moment of history


Today, December 7, 1941 The nation of Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Thus bringing the United States into WWII. This day is significant to all Americans. As the granddaughter of a WWII vet, I can only imagine what this day was like for them. I must admit I have romanticized it just as most have with movies like Pearl Harbor. The pictures of my grandparents when they were that age look just like those from that movie. It is easy to forget the fear, the sacrifice, and the heartbreak that every one of them shared.
I have sat at my Grandfather's knee listening to his stories since I was a little girl. That is until we lost him 8 years ago, last month. In those stories I never heard complaints of being uncomfortable or scared. He never mentioned being lonely, cold, or hungry. Instead his words were only of duty, loyalty, and honor. A dedication to this great nation. Indeed a true Patriot. The picture above is the National WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. where he is listed on the wall among the other heroes of WWII.


My brother and I grew up knowing the sacrifice of those in uniform and with a sense of pride and honor knowing that one of the greatest men we will ever have known in our life served this nation and was willing to give all he had to do so.


While Warner A. Lindsey was away at war, my Uncle Mike was born. He was 18 months old before my Grandfather ever saw him in person. Warner A. Lindsey was missing in action for several weeks and survived a severe illness that almost took his life.

He would continue his service under General Patton and storm the beaches of Normandy. He would liberate concentration camps. He would be the only survivor of sniper fire upon him and his friends on their way to see a movie in celebration of the end of the war and their impending homecoming. He would hold the hand of more than one friend as they gave the ultimate sacrifice on the battle field for our nation's freedom.

Warner A. Lindsey was truly a member of The Greatest Generation.
Most importantly to me he was the greatest grandfather.
We will celebrate his birthday at the end of this month. The last day of the year. A very appropriate day for him I might add (Oh, he was also a little less than honest about his age when joining the service. He was only 17... said he was 18. Oh well, we all have our flaws right?)
I should have saved all of this for his birthday, but I was over come by today's significance and his.
Warner and Irene Lindsey had three Children:
Mike, Debbie (my mother), and Jacque
This gave life to 7 grandchldren
& 8 great-grandchildren (to date)



That being said I got this email and wanted to share:
It makes you ask, when will we answer the call to defend this nation against it's enemies
foreign AND domestic!






Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the Presidential election:
Number of States won by:
Democrats: 19
Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by:
Democrats: 580,000
Republicans: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by:
Democrats: 127 million
Republicans: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:
Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.
Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..." Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.
If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

3 comments:

j said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

Be blessed Bama Belle.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Wonderful post! It certainly moves me each and everytime I think of the strong and courageous who decide to enlist in the military to serve our great nation. I just swell with pride.

Polly & Steve said...

Heart felt Bama Belle, My Dad was World War II and was in Germany fighting Hitler. My Grandfather was in World War I, My husband was in Viet Nam, so I totally agree with you.
Hugs
Polly and Steve