Welcome to the Blog Plantation Y'all

Our family welcomes you and thanks you for stopping by to visit. We are delighted you have taken a few minutes out of your day to spend with us. We are Joe and Jessica. We have two children and one very regal beagle! We post often and it usually includes details of our Christian faith; life here in the South; entertaining our family and friends; tales of our travels; as well as the daily adventures of having two children. Oh, and our passion for Alabama Crimson Tide Football!
Grab a mint julep, relax, and enjoy the site. Don't forget to leave us a message. You can click under any blog entry to do so. We love to hear from our guests.
(Also, please remember that all writings and pictures are the sole property of the blog plantation and it's authors and may not be duplicated, unless otherwise noted. )

Thanks for dropping by Y'all!




Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checking Tool
What time I am afraid I will trust in thee
Psalm 56:3

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Foodie Friday! Baby Doe's has a secret!

One of the most beloved of restaurants in Birmingham, AL
closed it's doors several years ago


One of our favorite dishes was their
FAMOUS BEER CHEESE SOUP!
The recipe was very secret.


Many, many years later
 my  Mother has agreed to allow me to share.

6 cups milk
2 (12 ounce) cans of beer, divided
2 (16 ounce) jars plus 1 (8 ounce) jar of cheese whiz
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can of chicken broth, undiluted
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 dashes of hot sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine milk and 2 1/2 cups beer in a large Dutch Oven. Cook over low heat until thouroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add cheese spread, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Coook over low heat until thouroughly heated stirring constantly.
Combine cornstarch and remaining beer, mixing well. Add to cheese mixture; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. ( DO NOT BOIL).
Yeilds 4 quarts

Hope you enjoy!

 Be sure to stop by Gollum and see more Foodi Fridays!

THANKS FOR DROPPING BY Y'ALL!

12 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

I love cheese soup! This recipe sounds delicious. I am printing this as I type!

Lisa said...

Wow! Sounds delicious!! How in the world did your mom have the recipe?

The Tablescaper said...

This looks good! No wonder it was a secret!

- The Tablescaper

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sounds fabulous.....

Melanie said...

That looks SOOO good! I think I gained 5 pounds just reading the recipe! :)

Melanie
~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

Jane said...

Yummy! I love cheese soup...
I have a beer cheese dip recipe from the 70s...and it was good! This recipe is similar...can't wait to try it. (Maybe when the heat index is below 90 degrees...make that 80.)
Hugs,
Jane (artfully graced)

Laura said...

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to make it for football season this year. RTR, girlfriend!

9405018--Pat said...

This sounds yummmmy thanks for sharing..Pat H

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

This sounds so great! It's cracking me up that such a fancy restaurant would use CheezWhiz though! That's awesome. I ate at Baby Doe's one time-- I was about 13 I think and it was SUCH a big deal for us to go there.

RedBettySummer said...

Clever use of cheese whiz. Thanks for sharing this interesting twist on cheese soup. Can't wait to try it.

j said...

Memories!! I ate at Baby Does when I was a freshman in high school, going to the prom with a senior. My dress was baby blue and the boy had on a white tux :) And yes, I think I had the beer cheese soup!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh....you KNOW that I will! :) TY!