Welcome to the Blog Plantation Y'all

Our family welcomes you and thanks you for stopping by to visit. We are delighted you have taken a few minutes out of your day to spend with us. We are Joe and Jessica. We have two children and one very regal beagle! We post often and it usually includes details of our Christian faith; life here in the South; entertaining our family and friends; tales of our travels; as well as the daily adventures of having two children. Oh, and our passion for Alabama Crimson Tide Football!
Grab a mint julep, relax, and enjoy the site. Don't forget to leave us a message. You can click under any blog entry to do so. We love to hear from our guests.
(Also, please remember that all writings and pictures are the sole property of the blog plantation and it's authors and may not be duplicated, unless otherwise noted. )

Thanks for dropping by Y'all!




Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checking Tool
What time I am afraid I will trust in thee
Psalm 56:3

Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Foodie Friday


I have to admit that my family has a secret recipe for Taco soup. That one I am not allowed to share, as my Mother might disown me. It is from scratch, made up by Mother so... can't share that one.......
BUT we love taco soup at our house and this version is so different that we often make them back to back. I made it for this weekend.
This one was sent to me by my dear friend Margaret. She brought it to us when we came home from our most recent hospital stay with Orren. She had all the trimmings to go with it! How precious is that?
So enjoy!


1 3/4lbs ground chuck
1 large yellow onion
2cloves garlic
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes



I cut mine slightly to make sure certain little ones won't object
1 can drained:
Kidney beans
pinto beans
black beans
whole kernel corn

one can Chicken broth

One package of taco seasoningCook beef, onion and garlic until brown. Then drain. return to Dutch oven and stir in tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, and seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer uncovered fro 30 minutes.

top with cheese and sour cream

Then you have this
(OK for my kids I have to add a lot of cheese and sour cream mixed in it but you get the idea!)


AND


Because crawfish are coming into season, Lent started so no meat Fridays, and I am missing New Orleans I am also sending this one out

CRAWFISH MONICA
For Foodie Friday!




This is a very simple and elegant dish,
and will impress your guests in
a big way.
It's also one of the most popular dishes served at the
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival;
the line at the Crawfish Monica
booth is one of longest on the Fairgrounds.

If you don't have crawfish available in your area,
it works well with
shrimp, oysters or crabmeat.


1 lb. crawfish tails, boiled and peeled; OR

1 lb. shrimp, peeled; OR
1 lb. lump crabmeat; OR
1 lb. oysters, drained and quartered.

1 stick butter (Do not use margarine.)
1 pint half-and-half (Look, relax.
Just don't eat this every day..)
1 good-sized bunch green onions, chopped (tops, too)
3 - 10 cloves garlic, chopped (to your taste)
1-2 tbs Creole Seasoning
1 lb. cooked fresh pasta
(Dry pasta is all right if fresh is
not available.
Rotelli is preferred, use your favorite shape.)


Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
Drain,
then rinse under cool water. Drain again, thoroughly.

Melt the butter in a large pot and saute onions
and garlic for
3 minutes. Add the seafood and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the
half-and-half, then add several big pinches of
Creole seasoning,
tasting before the next pinch until you think it's right.

Cook for 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat
until the sauce thickens.
Add the pasta and toss well.
Let it sit for 10 minutes or so over very
low heat, stirring often.
Serve immediately, with lots of French bread
and a nice dry white wine.

9 comments:

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This is wonderful! The Crawfish Monica looks delicious. I love your step by step for the soup. What a beautiful presentation!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Sounds great. I love soup on a rainy day.

susan said...

I think I'll go for the Crawfish Monica! This little mudbug certainly provides some elegant- sounding recipes! Thanks

Chandy said...

I've recently fallen in love with Taco Beef Soup, from my SIL but when I lost the recipe, I made one up myself. I use rice instead of corn. Yours look so yummy! I got the recipe for the Crawfish Monica, and I most likely will use crab or shrimp, but if I find some crawfish, so will do that, too!

Thanks!
Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday! I am getting so hungry now!

Susan

imjacobsmom said...

Both recipes sound good. I know that Jacob would eat your Crawfish Monica - except with shrimp - I'm in MN. I'm saving this for next Friday's lenten supper. Thanks. ~ Robyn

Anonymous said...

Your recipes sound so good. I can eat soup any time and would love a good hot bowl of that Taco Soup! I'll bring the cheese! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Kat said...

These both look great. I love to collect soup recipes, I'll have to try this. The crawfish monica sounds outstanding! Thanks for sharing these. Kathy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us! These sound absolutely delicious!

And I hope your loved one who was in the hospital is doing much better.

Happy Foodie Friday (on Saturday)!

XO,

Sheila :-)